Issue 49 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription or read online in standard definition here.

The Drive Home: Winter

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Just a few miles from where I parked I'd found it. I’d passed the popular cross country ski trails, and stumbled uphill through hip deep snow without snowshoes. I kept close to the trees, avoiding the deepest snow. I’d only hiked a couple miles, but between the snow and the off-trail travel, they’d been tough. Or maybe it wasn’t off-trail and I was standing on the trail itself. Who could know? There were no markers, no footsteps to follow. Directly overhead a brilliant blue sky gave way to gray clouds and blowing snow to the west, shielding the higher peaks from view. Though shaded, the forest was also warmer – Cold winds stole away any heat the minute you’d step into a meadow. Snow covered everything that was shielded from the wind, in other spots the ground was swept nearly bare where it remained more exposed. I kept hiking.

Thoughts on the different hiking opportunities winter has to offer, read the full article below in Issue 13:

The Drive Home: Winter

Issue 13 Page 1

Hiking in Winter