Coffee of the trail? What do you use?

Kayla Andreano

Kayla Andreano

We have been using finum brewing baskets. They are light, you can store it inside the cup, and it makes coffee sort of like a French press does. It's a little bit of a hassle for cleaning. My boyfriend's been on an organic tea kick now with loose leaf tea in a tea ball. I do like the easy clean up, and am wanting something just easy for coffee. I'm looking into disposible options for coffee and tea. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

image.png.6dca39db155e9853921a436d1d382134.png

I never thought I would find an instant that tasted like brewed coffee. Everyone has different taste, but this is worth trying. I tried the Starbucks packets and thought they were the closest I would have. But Mount Hagen, after 50 years on the trail, is now my coffee. I get zero kick backs from this company. It's just the right product for me.

I would echo Tom--have been using mount hagen coffee singles (get them at Natural Grocers) for several years now, and love them.

• 4 weeks later...
Michael aka Mac

Hi Kayla ,

Actually I think you already have a great way to make coffee and tea.  I think that you would be better off getting one of those 360 ° toothbrushes w/soft bristles and use that to clean your coffee filter

After you make your coffee ,  flip that coffee filter upside down and tap it to get the bulk of the coffee grinds out, then dip it in water and shake real fast for 3 seconds then flip over again and tap then once more. Now place filter in water on its' side and use the toothbrush while filter is on its side and move the brush all around the filter... It is much easier and faster then any other way I have seen to clean those types of filters, and by the time you do step 3 your done.

If you had any other type of coffee filtration device i may have suggested one to buy  but honestly  i love the one you got it just needs an imaginative way to clean it is all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Michael aka Mac

Sorry to kill your placebo caffeine high Dogwood but Green Tea has approximately 1/3 the caffeine then Coffee has, not to mention not the best drink on the trail due to Green Tea having Tannins that increases stomach acid which leads to digestive issues including constipation, acid reflux, and nausea not to mention that preparing Hot Green Tea will even make these side effects worse (as I said not On-The-Trail friendly).

On the other hand  nothing like Chocolate covered coffee beans to get that sugar & caffeine high going on.

• 8 months later...

I normally place a scoop of medaglia d'oro coffee along with enough creamer and sugar inside a lunch baggie (at the corner of the bag). I twirl it and wrap the twirl with masking tape. A quick snip of the loose stuff and it's ready for the hot water. Simply tear the plastic and pour in. The trash is lightweight.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2021 at 9:15 AM, Michael aka Mac said:

Sorry to kill your placebo caffeine high Dogwood but Green Tea has approximately 1/3 the caffeine then Coffee has, not to mention not the best drink on the trail due to Green Tea having Tannins that increases stomach acid which leads to digestive issues including constipation, acid reflux, and nausea not to mention that preparing Hot Green Tea will even make these side effects worse (as I said not On-The-Trail friendly).

On the other hand  nothing like Chocolate covered coffee beans to get that sugar & caffeine high going on.

Good general info!

Don't have those issues on trail with green tea.  I often mix a coconut milk powder into the tea to cut the tannins. Constipation has never been an issue on trail as well since being consistently hydrated, consuming fiber rich and "living" organic foods(foods containing bio active enzymes and void of man made herbicides like glyphosate which acts as an antibiotic), not consuming harder to digest foods(cheese, meats, etc), and maintaining gut health are priorities on and off trail.