Thermarest NeoAir Sleeping Pad - Medium (Original)

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

***SOLD***

Hi everyone,

I have an original NeoAir sleeping pad for sale - Size medium. (66" length) This pad is used but has been treated well. Also included is a brand new unopened Thermarest fast and light patch kit.

Price: $70 shipped anywhere in the U.S. - Please reply here or PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Aaron

post-3-143508712033_thumb.jpg

post-3-143508712046_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It is a bummer that TAR has discontinued these pads...I love my regular size pad but now fear the day that it may fail...Not saying I expect it too anytime soon, but lets face it, nothing last forever... But for me, this pad is the perfect solution. Very comfortable, very light (even in a regular size) and dare I say durable enough... It is warm enough for me in my neck of the woods on its own to the mid to low 20's (F) and with a 1/8" GG ThinLight pad it is good to near single digits.

The newer pads do not impress me much...both the XLite and the Xtherm are mummy cut rather than rectangular cut (huge turn off for me). The Trekker is much heavier but not as warm and the All Season is also much heavier, however it justifies its extra weight (unlike the Trekker) by being twice as warm as the original.

So, at the moment, TAR considers the XLite to be the replacement pad for the original Neo...but they also told me that if I made a note of not liking the mummy cut other arrangements could maybe be made...so for now I am holding tight to my original Neo...as it is truly the perfect pad for me...

Anyway, saying all of this, if you still have this after a while I may be interested in picking it up from you...

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Stick,

Just let me know... :D

I was disappointed as well when the new NeoAir XLite was released as a mummy cut only pad. As a taller side sleeper I find that the traditional 72x20 size pad is about as small as I like to go - While I've been able to get by on less in the past, I wasn't always able to sleep well and to me, sleeping well is directly related to how much I'll enjoy the trail the next day...

However, the specs on the XLite are quite impressive - Both lighter and warmer compared to the original NeoAir. I'm now using and really like the slightly heavier Exped SynMat UL 7, which offers a tad more usuable length and width despite being listed at 72x20 like the regular NeoAir. It's also just a bit thicker at 2.8 vs 2.5 inches, and I've found that I prefer the vertical air chambers. (I found myself being awoken by rolling off the edge a few times on the NeoAir) One thing to consider if you like the NeoAir style but don't want to sacrifice sleeping space might be the XLite large, which from what I understand is 25" wide tapering to 20". While heavier than the original NeoAir it's also warmer, so you might be able to leave the Thinlight pad at home when it's colder out to make up the difference. But if noise of the pad itself is a concern I believe the original Neo is the quieter of the two pads.

Was Thermarest hinting that a rectangular version of the XLite might be released or that they still had some of the originals in stock that they might be able to offer?

I will man...

I like using the ThinLight pad in conjunction with my NeoAir because the ThinLight is also part of my frame system for my pack. So, in the summer the ThinLight pad can be used under the pad for extra protection and in the winter on top of the pad for extra warmth.

I have debated the wide version of the XLite simply because of it's mummy cut design...that really is a bummer...nothing good about it in my opinion, at least for me...

I have an Exped SynMat 7 and it is ok, but I find my Neo to be way more comfy...just me though...not saying one is better than the other. I prefer the horizontal baffles as opposed to the vertical ones (they make me feel like I am laying on a pool toy... :) )

As far as noise, I have never had any issue with it from my Neo. Neither has my wife, son or anyone else in a shelter when I happen to stay in one complained or made mention about.

And I am not sure what the guy from Therm-A-Rest meant... This is his exact quote:

If you indicated in a note that you didn’t like the tapered shape of the XLite, then we could work with you to find a pad that worked, but those pads are all that we are working with.

So, I dunno...

Anyway, this got me to thinking and I posted another post on my blog that I talk about all of this...If you are interested:

http://sticksblog.com/2012/04/07/fare-the-well-original-neoair/

• 2 months later...

I also love my Neo Air. Found a web dealer closing them out and got a large for the price of a small. I had a failure on my original after one year of heavy use. I called Cascade Designs and described the problem. They gave me a Return Authorization. Within a week of them receiving my Neo Air, I had a new one on my doorstep.

Used it camping in Big Bend in April. I kept one of those closed cell cheap blue pads under it for protection. Worked great even when I didn't use a tent. Big Bend is a place you really want to sleep under the stars.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if I don't win a Thermarest on the American Hiking Society contest, I might be interested. My Nemo Astro is just too big and heavy...albeit very comfortable. How small does it roll up and can you tell me the weight?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Sounds good, just let me know. That is indeed the same pad and it weighs 12.75 ounces on my scale. If you're interested, I can also throw in the Thermarest Jembe Seat Kit for free that I also have for sale separately. (Time to clean up the gear closet!) Here is a shot of the packed size:

post-3-143508715064_thumb.jpg