I Got a Girl Named Big Agnes

Bobo Uzala

Our love affair began many moons ago when I was searching for a new winter sleeping bag that would fit my “husky” frame (my mom always called me husky, lol). In a world of trade-offs, I prefer a semi-rectangular bag but there’s always the issue of volume. Maybe a Mummy bag? – yeah, right… nada room. You might as well package me in Saran Wrap and duct tape. A fledgling company out of Colorado soon caught my eye. I found that Big Agnes fashions a sleeping bag that’s wide and saves on weight by placing the down filler on the top and sides of the bag. What’s that? The bag also has a sleeve for your sleeping pad AND a pillow case – you’re kidding me, right?! I picked up a zero degree Storm King and headed off to the Adirondacks. On a cold winter’s night in a High Peaks shelter I slept with Big Agnes. My oh my did she treat me right! I uncovered Big Agnes and there was much more. I bought a Wedgie Expander that added seven inches of bag girth. I was breathless. What was going on, did Big Agnes have a really fat boyfriend? I loved her even more.

Along with the Storm King, sleeping arrangements now include the Lost Ranger 15 and the Fish Hawk 30. I’d always wanted a bivouac sack, so I put my money down on Big Agnes’ 3 Wire Bivy. On a birthday bash trip, my friend pulled out Big Agnes’ humongous sleeping pad with a loft that must have been at least eight inches… it was spectacular! OK, It was my birthday and I was celebrating with some carried brew, but Big Agnes’ Air Core Insulated Pad was soon mine. It’s really a 3.25 inch loft, yet a huge improvement over my slim Thermarest. I gave Big Agnes yet another of my REI dividends for a Copper Spur UL2 Tent. Another great score, the Copper Spur UL2 is really light with a whole lotta room and works great as a single person tent. It just seems that I can’t go wrong with my girl. She’s been with me now for quite a long, long time and I feel fine. By the way, I recently got my hands on her inflatable pillow. Yowza, more sweet dreams in the wild!

Tale tales aside - here’s the Big Agnes breakdown:

Strom King 0

Lost Ranger 15

Fish Hawk 30

Wedgie Bag Expander

Insulates Air Core Pad

Three Wire Bivy

Copper Spur UL2

Note: I am not sponsored by Big Agnes. However, if they want to send money or offer me a job, I wouldn’t say no.

ive got the lost ranger15 with the built in pad sleeve and its awesome. its like having a bed. my air core pad developed a valve leak, and i ended up replacing it with a neoair, which i now prefer. the copper spur is a great tent, a little on the heavy side.i had the fly creek ul2, but replaced it last year with a lightheart solong6 which is 6 oz lighter, and roomier, although not free standing as the copper spur is.

ive been very happy with ba products, except for the air core.

AdventureMyk

Big Agnes is a girl that's easy to love in all the right ways! I have not owned anything of hers personally but with all the reviews, details and options my next tent is very likely to be the Big Agnes Slater 3+. I just wish I could find it when the prices are back down as they seem to drop for a few days then zing back to retail. I like their sleeping pads from experimenting with them in the shop yet somehow ended up with my eye on the Exped Synmat and the Schnozzel (okay, say it with me, Schnozzel.. it's just.. yeah, it somehow works) The Copper Spur UL2 is another good solid fallback to the Slater 3. We'll see how it goes. :)

(Btw, anyone that actually owns a Slater 3 is most welcome to comment as the tent is very new and not many reviews outside of magazines exist for it)

I could see how the Air Core would develop a leak, because it's so fat. I pulled that pad out of my pack last night and suddenly noticed, "hey, this thing ain't light"! It takes forever to blow up, but wow do I sleep good on her!

ive got the lost ranger15 with the built in pad sleeve and its awesome. its like having a bed. my air core pad developed a valve leak, and i ended up replacing it with a neoair, which i now prefer. the copper spur is a great tent, a little on the heavy side.i had the fly creek ul2, but replaced it last year with a lightheart solong6 which is 6 oz lighter, and roomier, although not free standing as the copper spur is.

ive been very happy with ba products, except for the air core.

I could see how the Air Core would develop a leak, because it's so fat. I pulled that pad out of my pack last night and suddenly noticed, "hey, this thing ain't light"! It takes forever to blow up, but wow do I sleep good on her!
i know a few people that had the same issue as I.

although it was comfortable, i find the neoair to be lighter and just as comfortable.

and so far, after some 120 nights of use, its been leak-free.

Bobo Uzala

I have to make a few comments regarding the Copper Spur UL2 tent. I've been putting this tent through its paces and I'm not totally in love with it. I don't know how this tent can be rated as 3 seasons, unless that 3rd season was very warm for their gear testers. I used this tent several times in the fall and early spring and it was cold! There's no insulation, it's ultralight! A zipper pull has come apart and a couple spots of the polyester mesh have become stretched.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up the Air Core to replace my Dual Core that sprung a slow leak. It worked great. I also have a BA Lynx Pass 1 tent which I love. Not as light as the UL's but those things wick so much dew in the morning I'm not sure they're that much lighter.