FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer

Bobo Uzala

Bobo Uzala

I've been using a FoodSaver for quite some time. For those of us that like to prepare our own meals at home, the FoodSaver will vacuum seal meals and you can choose what serving size you desire. The bags are not cheap but they can be reused if handled properly. Perishable foods can be prepped and frozen and depending on the season and ambient temperature, there's nothing like breaking out a filet mignon with mushrooms in Burgundy sauce to share with your buddy's Mac n cheese!

AdventureMyk

I have seen a few of them on the market and a few that looked great only to read reports that they didn't last very long or did a poor job. What kind do you use and would you buy it again?

Hi Myk, my FoodSaver is a basic model and probably around ten years old. It still works with no problems and I would definitely buy one again. Not only is it great for food items on the trail, but it's also nice to have for home. You can buy vacuum containers that attach to the FoodSaver and it speeds up the marinating process for meats and veggies via the vacuum drawing the marinating sauces into the food.

I've been using a food saver for many years now. Used to go to Quetico canoeing a bunch and we would use the food saver for even dry foods, toilet paper, spare clothing and whatever else we needed to compact down. Plus it water proofs the items at the same time.

First night at camp we would have lobster tails and tenderloins all frozen in a food saver bag. They would be mostly thawed by the time we reached camp. And to drink, a plastic milk jug full of beer. :D

Plus they're great to have around the house.

• 3 weeks later...

We also package a lot of chow with the Food Saver but a word of warning: don't use it on typical "dried" fruit. There is enough water remaining in most of that product that when vacuumed sealed, it turns into one gooey mass. Makes for very sticky fingers.

• 3 weeks later...
bagging14ers

We also package a lot of chow with the Food Saver but a word of warning: don't use it on typical "dried" fruit. There is enough water remaining in most of that product that when vacuumed sealed, it turns into one gooey mass. Makes for very sticky fingers.

Very good to know grizzled. I plan on vacuuming up some trail mix for a backpacking trip this weekend and will stay away from dried fruits. I use mine for just about anything. I like to vacuum seal a little extra money along with my insurance card, a lighter, some bandages and some iodine pellets so that I have a small waterproof emergency packet.

Edited by bagging14ers

• 1 month later...
jeepingetowah

I myself have a vacuum sealer. I used it mainly at first to prepare for my AT thru hike. Which had great effects with food.

But the one thing that I think everyone is leaving out is NON food items. I now use it for small tablespoon portions of things like sunscreen, toothpaste, anything you want can be put into these pouches. When I was preparing the the AT, I remembered near the end that I needed to mail myself 4 oz of Dr. Bronners each week. My wife got 2 and I got 2. But there was a problem. No room in the drop boxes...

That is when I had an Ah HA moment!!! I made 4" x 4" bags and the liquid soap came out flat. It was really genius, and they fit right at the top of the box on top of all of the contents.

Definitely worth considering... maybe condiments, like hot sauces or salsas that you might take for an overnighter or weekender... so many ideas!!!

**ON MY NEXT TRIP I WILL PACK REAL BUTTER THIS WAY! (another Ah Ha moment)