Breakfasts Recipes

alphamikefoxtrot

alphamikefoxtrot

What does everyone do for breakfast?

I'm interested in breakfast type foods that are well suited for longer duration treks; AT, PCT, etc.

I do some home made dehydrated meals, like grits, eggs and bacon. Check out a book titled "Backpack Gourmet" by Linda Frederick Yaffe. Really good, nutritious recipes and the portion sizes are for real backpackers.

When I am pressed for time, I will have the breakfast to go packs from Blue Diamond nuts; turbo-charged oatmeal, instant grits, breakfast bars or breakfast biscuits and of course Poptarts.

alphamikefoxtrot

When I am pressed for time, I will have the breakfast to go packs from Blue Diamond nuts; turbo-charged oatmeal, instant grits, breakfast bars or breakfast biscuits and of course Poptarts.

Awesome! How does one go about turbo charging oatmeal?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Definitely nothing fancy on my end. :D I'm not usually a breakfast guy, just coffee and a bar of some type as I'm leaving camp or after. It helps to mix it up so you don't get bored, but right now it seems as though Honey Stinger protein bars are my breakfast of choice...

• Premium Member

I usually do something quick like oatmeal with cinnamon, nuts, dried fruit, and powdered milk, although I'm also curious about the turbo-charged oatmeal! Sometimes I use dehydrated sweet potatoes with a little brown sugar and cinnamon... that is very tasty.

Will be looking into dehydrating my own eggs & bacon as that sounds like the perfect breakfast for me. :)

• 9 months later...

A couple of my favorites:

homemade granola (sometimes just dry, sometimes with 1/4 cup powdered milk added) and a package of QuickStarts breakfast crackers.

Also, a half-package of OreIda instant potatoes with bacon crumbles added to them makes a great brekkie!

2 Folgers instant coffee packets, 2 Carnation Instant breakfast (vanilla or chocolate) and 1/2 cup of Nestle Nido mixed with 16 ounces of water. Makes a nice 800 calorie shake for a quick breakfast.

I'm usually a get up and go long distance hiker so I don't fuss w/ b'fast too much. Besides I'm a big supplement(kinda like vitamins) guy so I get varoom from those which I take in the morn when I first arise and that I've laid out the night before. But when it's cold and I may be moving a bit more slowly and needing that extra bit of energy I'll warm up something like some oatmeal w/ tbsps of hemp protein, sunflower seeds, and sliced almonds(or a nut butter), and cinnamon, and some granulated ginger w/ my supplements. Or, perhaps nosh a bar like a Pro Bar, Bobo's Oat bar w/ nut butter, or other 350+ cal bar. Within two hrs I'm noshing/grazing more snacks using the drip method of constantly noshing but in smaller caloric amts.

• 1 month later...

I like to have a warm breakfast when hiking.  My fast favorites are Instant oatmeal with chopped almonds or walnuts, and dried fruit; or instant grits with bacon bits and parmesan cheese; or couscous with chopped walnuts, dried currants, cinnamon, and a little powdered milk.  Via coffee is a must on all mornings!

Angelina11

I usually like to have a good breakfast while hiking. I like pancakes (use a prepacked mix because its so much easier when camping ) or toad in the hole (mix up left over hot dogs and bacon bits). Oatmeal works well as well. :) Don't forget the all important morning coffee !