Daypacks

TrailBrett

Alright guys im in need of a new daypack, looking for something around 26-32L. I have a 22" torso so relatively limited on options. Pretty much ive come down to a select few, Osprey Talon 33, Gregory Z30, Mountain Hardwear Fluid 26 and a couple others but those are the main 3. Do any of you have experience or heard anything about these packs? Ive read as many reviews I could find on the packs listed but I understand that a lot of reviewers arent exactly gear/outdoor junkies so most packs would do their job justice. Any info would be nice. Also if you have these packs feel free to post pics.

Posted this in the general forum then found this forum so figured ill post it here (new to TrailGroove). Im looking for a new daypack. Lots of good ones out there but pretty much narrowed it down to 3 packs - Osprey Talon 33, Mountain Hardwear Fluid 26, and the Gregory Z30. Do you guys have any experience with these packs? If you have any of these feel free to post pics so I can get some color comparison. If not what do you guys use for day hikes?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to the forum Brett!

No experience with the packs you mentioned, currently using an REI Flash 22 myself, although I saw in the other thread that you're looking for something to fit a longer torso. The Flash 22 is unfortunately only available in one size and it's not all that perfect with my longer torso to be honest, I can only use it with the shoulder straps nearly fully loosened. Attempting to resolve the issue I did check out the REI Stoke 29, (Looks like they are closing it out) which is available in a large torso version and was great with a lot of external storage that I like, but I personally just don't need that much space for a daypack. However, looks like that's right in the size range that you're looking for. REI lists it as fitting up to a 20" torso in the large size, although it seemed adequate to me and I'm a perfect fit in a large ULA Circuit. (21-24" torso) In any event good luck and let us know what you end up with!

tmountainnut

I personally like the osprey talon series, but i don't own one anymore.

For dayhiking, i either use my black diamond axis (for scrambling/climbing) or if its truly just a hiking only, a flash 18 since it'll hold my day kit plus food and water, no frills.

I've been doing a bit of backpacking in and then dayhiking with my osprey exos. Its big enough for my overnight kit, and then i i just tighten up my side straps and remove the top lid to turn it into a daypack.

Edited by tmountainnut

Funny i was just looking at the REI Stoke 29 this morning, I had seen it before but never considered it till this morning. Probably going to keep looking and searching for deals and if nothing I should be able to find a good one on black friday. I have the Kelty Shrike 32 (2012) but I bought that when I was just getting into hiking. ITS TIME FOR AN UPGRADE!

I love my Osprey Kestrel 28 in M/L size. It has great hip belt support for a smaller capacity pack. I also have a longer torso so the adjustability is awesome for getting it dialed in for a personal fit. I have always been a fan of top loaders and that is why I chose the Kestral. Haven't had to use the lifetime warranty on an Osprey yet, but they say if they can't fix it and make it useable again, they will replace, no matter how old it is or if it your own fault.

Thank you for the Osprey Kestrel suggestion. I have been in need of a new pack for awhile, one that has a bit more support than just a NorthFace Jester backpack. It is time, it is time! ;) I mean dont get me wrong, I love that backpack, it has gotten me to the top of half dome (hiking of course) a few times. But sometimes it would be nice to have a pack not utilizing only my shoulders for support.

• 2 months later...