Instant Milk

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Not sure if anyone has a Safeway or Safeway-owned chain in their area, but just in case you do their instant milk is top notch! Previously we'd been using a different name brand product - But last time we hit the store to stock up on a few supplies for an overnighter it just so happened that they were out of stock so we went to our next option. The product that we had been using was a bit difficult on trips - A very fine powder that somehow always managed to clog up the seal of a single or even double bagged Ziploc and covered everything in sight with a fine coating of dust. It also never seemed to really fully dissolve no matter what I tried, which resulted in clumps of powdered milk in my morning coffee... I always figured this was just par for the course until now. This product is packaged in individual foil packages that make 1 quart and is more of a granulated texture (vs. a fine dust) that dissolves instantly. No mess, easy to work with, and morning camp coffee and granola never tasted so good!

post-3-143508712602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aaron

Nice...I will keep my eyes open for those...although, we don't have a Safeway around us that I know of...I really like the individual packets though...

I have been using Nido so far and it works out well...although I have only used it in some foods and hot cocoa...and I have not had anything else to compare it too... but the granules sounds like it would work better too...heck, sometimes my powdered coffee creamer clumps up in my coffee...

I've been using Nido, which I have to order online or find at a Hispanic Grocery store. It's whole fat, so it's not as easy to reconstitute as nonfat powdered milk, but I find the taste to be much more acceptable than nonfat milk.

• 1 year later...

i've been using nido, which i have to order online or find at a hispanic grocery store. It's whole fat, so it's not as easy to reconstitute as nonfat powdered milk, but i find the taste to be much more acceptable than nonfat milk.

i second nido

• 2 months later...
jeepingetowah

Safeway says that there are Randall's groceries in Austin. I will stop by there and see if they have some of this when I visit soon. Nido is good, but does have that peculiar taste that others don't. Plus it does not do well in coffee, IMHO.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hopefully you can find something similar. Never going back to the other stuff here. :D Each 3.4 oz packet goes a long way...About 2.5 weeks for me when just used for coffee.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have experiences with Hoosier Hill Farm products? I'm plannin to try out their whole milk and was just curious.