Instant Milk

Aaron Zagrodnick

I've had the clumping problem not with powdered cow's milk but with Meyenberg's dried goat's milk, Allison Farms Vanilla Soy Milk, Whey Protein Isolate Concentrate, cocoa powder/hot chocolate, PB2 powdered peanut butter, etc on trail. From that cooking geek Alton Brown of Good Eats I learned that making a mud first in the bottom of your cup or pot  with just a small amount of reconstituting liquid and then gradually adding more liquid reduces or eliminates the clumps. He explained his science behind all this which I'm not going to share. All I know is the clumping issue is a thing of the past.     

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I don't drink instant milk cold, just use it in recipes and hot drinks. For my breakfast drink, I use a blender ball in a container that I can shake to mix. I've heard of people using almonds instead of a blender ball and then eating the almonds. I have seen Nido in the major chains, usually in the Hispanic foods. I've bought from Hoosier Hill Farms, but not their dried milk. I haven't had any complaints, but can't speak to their dried milk.