Backpacking in the Ruby Mountains

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Recently I set out to explore the Seven Devils Wilderness in Idaho and walk a 27-mile loop through those mountains, but a large fire in Hell’s Canyon diverted that plan at the last minute. The Ruby Mountain Wilderness of Nevada had long been on my “to do” list, and this seemed like a good time to change plans and head south. The Rubies were misnamed in the 1800s during the gold rush…

David Cobb takes along a trip to Nevada’s Ruby Mountains. Check out the full article below in Issue 18:

Hiking Through Rubies

Backpacking in the Ruby Mountain Wilderness, Nevada

Issue 18 Page 1

THX so much for this review of the hike through northern Nevada's Ruby Mt. We sometimes forget that Nevada has Great Basin NP and some very alluring high peaks and ranges in this northeastern pocket of Nev. I'm still reading the article but the Ruby Mt hike can be part of other treks in this area of Nev. Another hike that's on my radar is the Toiyabe Crest Trail and summiting Wheeler Peak, NV's high pt at 13,000 ft plus.

Thanks for the article. I have always been fascinated by this part of Nevada but only have ever driven through. Water wold be a huge issue, but attempting to combine a lot of these large mountainous regions into a thruhike would be pretty epic,