Best Campsites You Have Ever Been To?

Gearspoke

What are some the most amazing campsites you have ever been to. It could even be just the location of the site, it doesn't have to be the site itself. Take a look at this mile high campsite in Italy, and the only way down to it is by belaying down to your room! Haha "in tents" right? http://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel/adventure/408574/Bivouac-Gervasutti-extreme-campsite

What is the most unique campgrounds that you have ever been to?

I have enjoyed many around the Crystal Mountain area outside of Seattle but it's been so long I can't pinpoint any particular one. Maybe it was having to go door-handle deep through rivers in the Grand Cherokee to get there or the long windy roads in the sports car to reach the campsite.

Lately I think my favorite was a few nights of island camping on Lake Santeetlah (Robbinsville, NC). We spent 4 nights/ 5 days kayak camping and never stayed in the same place twice. The views were fantastic, the lake peaceful, water plenty warm for swimming, etc. Lots of random trails to explore, places to set up tents and hammocks, and one more nice thing about camping on that lake? It's free! Lots of things to do around there and plenty of different types of terrain, history, etc.

What is the most unique campgrounds that you have ever been to?

Hovenweep National Monument has a campground mere minutes walking from Little Ruin Canyon with its 800+ year old Ancestral Puebloan ruins. Awesome place and very isolated. And it just may be in the next issue of Trail Groove. ;)

Upper Ruby Basin in the San Juan mountains of Colorado. Here's a shot of our campsite during a climbing trip in 2009--if you look closely you can see our tents at the base of the cliffs:

post-788-143508721661_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So many. Lower Cathedral Lake in the Sierras, but there are so may in the Sierras, atop Half Dome when it was still legal, atop MT Whitney, atop Mt Humphreys(the AZ state high pt), in a grove of mature Coastal Redwoods in Cali, in a cave in Carlsbad Caverns NP, on the ocean during coastal hikes in Olympic/Hawaii Volcanoes NPs/Kalalua Beach(Kauai HI)/Acadia NP, on a paddle in only wooden platform above the water at Everglades NP, on an island in a hammock on the Chatooga River near Ellicott Rock where GA/SC/NC meet, Arches NP, Canyonlands Needles District, Grand Canyon NP, a rock shelter in Kentucky, in a really shweet treehouse in WA state, in an igloo/snow shelter in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, Big Bend NP(southern rim), in a grove of large Joshua trees in the Mojave Desert, Colorado everywhere, Shuckstack Fire Tower in GSMNP

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I have quite a few that come to mind as well but here's one - the view from a campsite on Maggie Lake in Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario:

post-3-143508721669_thumb.jpg

• Like 1