Issue 48 has been released! Download your own high definition copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription and Membership or read online here.

Backpacking in the Bighorn Mountains

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The snow began to fly even before I put on my hiking shoes, but wasn’t this still August? It was, but any mountain range worth its salt was going to have snowfall in August, and this seemed to be the norm for me backpacking in Wyoming. Besides, I’d rather have snow than rain any day, and these colder temps meant only one thing: the death to millions of mosquitoes…

David Cobb backpacks the Bighorn Mountains on Wyoming in Issue 19, read the full article and take a look at the amazing scenery below:

Hiking in Solitude

Backpacking in the Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming

Issue 19 Page 1

The description of the Bighorns as an amalgam of the Winds and Sierra is apt. I thought the southern Bighorns felt a lot like the southern Winds -- a long hike through the woods along a horse trail -- and Cloud Peak looked a bit like Mount Whitney. They're definitely a cool little range, which is probably overlooked because it's in absolute middle of nowhere.