General info on gear

bratnikotin

Started going out to the woods more regularly, including going in Winter time.

What strikes me is that the equipment is soo expensive.

I can understand the quality and all .. but encountered that in order for me to stack up clothing for the winter hikes, I have to spread purchases over good 6-8 month.

Is it safe to buy things off Ebay? Please share an advice? Ebay comes half cheaper than Paragorn or REI stores..

Also, please advise on winter gear. Or direct me somewhere.

Started going out to the woods more regularly, including going in Winter time.

What strikes me is that the equipment is soo expensive.

I can understand the quality and all .. but encountered that in order for me to stack up clothing for the winter hikes, I have to spread purchases over good 6-8 month.

Is it safe to buy things off Ebay? Please share an advice? Ebay comes half cheaper than Paragorn or REI stores..

Also, please advise on winter gear. Or direct me somewhere.

First, I've never been an Ebay guy. I would see if you can find some deals here at TrailGroove, at least you know people on this site know about outdoor gear.

When I was starting out I got some good deals on some gear at military surplus stores.

Many years ago I started buying from REI, and I can promise you that they are really hard to beat. They may not be "cheap", but what you buy will last, so you don't have to re-purchase every couple of years. I always recommend to people to not be afraid to spend money on boots, backpack, or tent. These items must be of really good quality, or your experience will be miserable. Same basic story goes for clothing. Check out REI's specials, sales, and deal of the day/week.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

"Isn't the purpose of hiking and backpacking to enjoy the freedom and wonders of the outdoors? To see and explore the beauty of nature first-hand? To experience the trail as if it is your first time seeing such things?"

I have never personally had a bad experience on Ebay. Just look at the seller ratings as a good indication. If they have 5,000+ sales with 99%+ happy ratings then you are good to go.

Amazon is another place I have had good luck.

Lastly, type the items you want in Google, hit shopping, then arrange 'lowest to highest'. When you have that and it lists "At 10 stores" etc then click on that shop link. Once you have, arrange lowest to highest shipped to your door and you will often find the prices are significantly lower than what it firsts says. The first price seems to be a snapshot average while sometimes you get them a lot lower.

Backcountry.com and I have a wonderful reputation with each other. Probably $5k worth in the last 6 months or so but that $5k has gotten me closer to $11k in gear. All new, all delivered in 2-3 days and with some fantastic service. Also, don't hesitate to use the 'chat' feature on some places. THey might even be able to bump up shipping, do a little extra discount, etc. (I got another $90 off of a $550 Big Agnes Slater 3 tent while I was getting my Western Mountaineering bag. No one can discount the WM bags as they are price-locked/contract but they did take the chunk off of the tent to compensate. That was at 2am on a sunday in chat function. He also bumped it all to free overnight just for making him laugh for a good 20 mins. :)

If you can get creative and get them laughing most people, be it in person or in chat, will bend over backwards to help a fellow enthusiast no matter what you are buying.

I've had good luck off of Amazon and E-bay both.

Buying used can work very well.

WHat winter gear in particular are you looking for?

Sure, buying used can save money. Buying gear at thrift stores and consignment outdoor stores can work too. I bought a nice barely used MH Ghost Whisper for my nephew for less than $70 at a thrift store stumbling across it when I was donating some stuff. The thrift store even gave me a credit to spend in the store for donating stuff that I applied to the GW jacket price. This is a typical $200-280 jacket.

BIG money saving tip: DO NOT buy winter clothing during the lead up to winter or during winter. Start looking for close outs, limited sizes, previous yr's versions, limited colors, etc in spring when stores are seeking to free up shelf space for in or upcoming seasonal items.

One can save money if willing to consider DIY projects. Some sites offer hiking gear kits that can easily chop 1/3 off the retail price. What's nice about DIY projects is that you can have greater opportunity to customize gear for your uses. I know several who have made sweet down quilts/sleeping bags/apparel(down socks, down pants, vests, hats, etc) from recycled down bought from thrift stores and with the help of gear making kits/gear patterns.

Fleece clothing from Walmart is just as warm as that from REI just not always as well made. Getting started you will make many changes. For on line orders Zappos has free shipping both ways and sometimes very good prices. I have often found my best deals on Amazon. Free shipping if you pay for Prime membership but that has gotten expensive.

Another satisfied REI customer-been a member there for 45 years and have yet to have an adverse problem with their service or products. If you are a member, come March and dividend time, they usually have a 20% off coupon that can save big bucks on a high cost item, plus you get about 10% back on normal priced items through the dividend. I remain somewhat in awe as I have watched that co-op go from one store on Pike Street to the largest outdoor retailer in the US, all the while remaining true to their roots. They also have monthly "garage" sales at most stores where they sell returned items for a large discount. If others are like Bozeman, best get there REAL early. There is a 2 block line by opening time.

I will second Gary M's comment: you want to buy some reasonably decent quality equipment from the get go if you actually plan on a long term relationship with the backcountry. An elcheapo tent that parts its seams in adverse conditions 20 miles from the trail head can be more than just miserable. Definitely consider where you want to go while selecting the equipment. One size doesn't fit all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My first pack was an old military external frame I got for $15. That tank weighs 12 pounds empty but it did the job for a couple years until I knew this was something I wanted to do often. Military gear can be found on the cheap. It is inexpensive, rugged, but weighs a ton. I would go to thrift stores and look for aluminum pots/cups/pans/utensils...mess kit assembled for $5. As far as clothing, Old Navy has cheap warm layers as does a company called Uniglo (I love their long johns). Just my two cents on saving.

In the long run though, if you decide this is something that is worth spending a lot of time doing though, dont skimp. One piece at a time as Johnny Cash said. Slowly compile good, quality gear. It will last a loooong time.