Stoves???

Adventure Stu

Adventure Stu

Hi, I am new to backpacking and will need to get a stove soon ready for my summer trips. I was looknig at an MSR Whisper but when I went to my local outdoor store they suggested a Jetboil. I am now confused :confused:.

Suggestions please :D:D

Stu

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Stu, a lot of people have had good success with Jetboil stoves. Personally, I like the Soto WindMaster canister stove for most trips, here's a review:

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue8.html?autoflip=59

Ted had a great breakdown of your basic stove types with some suggestions in Issue 18 as well:

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue18.html?autoflip=11

Let us know how it works out!

I use a pocket rocket for most trips in the summer. When it gets colder, I go to a whisperlite due to not wanting to have issues with fuel cell pressure.

The pocket rocket, canister stabilization stand, foldable spoon and fork, mini bic, and 4 oz fuel cell fit into a gsi halulite 1.1 boiler. This is my entire cook kit. nice package.

I boil water for oatmeal and coffee in the am, coffee at lunch, and water for tea and a mountain house (2c) at night. at this rate, I get more than 4 full days on one canister (probably could do 6+, but have not tried that yet)

Hi, I am new to backpacking and will need to get a stove soon ready for my summer trips. I was looknig at an MSR Whisper but when I went to my local outdoor store they suggested a Jetboil. I am now confused :confused:.

Suggestions please :D:D

Stu

Would you like to be more confused? I used a Jetboil all last summer. I also have a Pocket Rocket. The Jetboil is much faster for boiling water. I don't really like canister stoves - Always a problem with ending a trip with a partially filled canister.

I also have 3 alcohol stoves and a Solo wood burning stove. My favorite is the Solo stove. I hike in the Midwest and Northeast so there is always fuel for the wood burner. Every type of stove has problems. Canister stove re much easier for beginners and they do have a shutoff which I required in many places.

Ed

I like all the info in this thread. Aaron - Thanks for those references in the magazine,

My Hubby and I just got an Emberlit but haven't tried it on a trip (just the backyard). I'm kinda nervous but we are thinking we can take a fuel cube thingy for backup if we get too much rain and have no dry wood for the Emberlit. Does that sound reasonable to everyone? We are going to Colorado this summer.

Also curious if the Emberlit and other wood-burning stoves are banned in areas that have a burn ban.

I think the fuel cubes (Esbit is one brand) is very reasonable. I always take several when I use my Solo stove.

I read someplace that most western states require stoves to have shut off valve when they have a burning ban.

I think the fuel cubes (Esbit is one brand) is very reasonable. I always take several when I use my Solo stove.

I read someplace that most western states require stoves to have shut off valve when they have a burning ban.

Thanks. That makes sense, in a high fire danger area. Appreciate the response!:)

Stoves are certainly another place where one size doesn't fit all. My wife and I usually heat 1.5 to 2L of water for breakfast and dinner (which includes 2 cups for the canine dog food) and I still prefer a pressure fed liquid fuel stove. With the MSR Dragon Fly, I can easily get 6 days out of a 750 cc fuel bottle and 7 days if a little conservation is employed. I've just never developed a fondness for canisters.

And yes, I don't think the wood stoves can be used under burning bans and there are a few areas that have permanent burning bans-like East Rosebud Creek drainage in the Beartooth's.