The Sunset

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Arriving at the parking lot, I struggle to find a parking space. This is Wyoming right? Crowded with vehicles and vehicles with trailers, the area is full of others enjoying the weekend day, but most by snowmachine or on cross country skis. It’s hard to blame them, a Saturday with temperatures in the low 40’s is hard to pass up and I’m guilty of it myself. Interested in a little less traffic, I hike the opposite direction from the National Forest roads and take the trail towards the wilderness boundary. Quickly it becomes apparent that rubber soles alone won’t cut it, as I half skate across a trail that’s packed with melted and refrozen snow. Stopping I put my Microspikes on, and they give the grip I need to ascend the icy slope. I pass families out for the day, myself hiking as fast as I can in a race against what I know will be the light. Quickly I make 2 miles, sweating my way upwards…

Just another winter hike, Issue 20:

The Sunset

Wind River Range WInter Day Hike - Sunset

Issue 20 Page 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aaron:

Good for you! You noticed the CDT marker. I carried it with me and hung it up as a joke. Since most of the people going over the pass are Europeans and Nepali Sherpas I doubt if anyone got the joke.

At least I thought it was funny. Throng La Pass is on the Annapurna Circuit and just under 18,000 ft. You may recall that this past October there was a major storm that hit the area and there were about 10 deaths on the pass. We went over in March and the weather was perfect.

Second photo:There was also an election in Nepal during our trek and the communists won. Our Sherpas got word of the results and celebrated by pulling out their Communist Hammer and Sickle flag.

Trekkerman

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I was going to say those are two flags not often seen together... :D

Three photos from our place last Friday. I did post these over at Backcountry.com also so some may have already seen them.

Over the Tobacco Roots

16532736815_f9c245c857_b.jpg

16532743465_7cb20f6edf_b.jpg

Spanish Peaks, northern Madison Range

16532771075_da95e1cf43_b.jpg

And as a sad commentary on the recent weather around here, there really shouldn't be any rock showing on those peaks this time of year. Looking forward to some more time in both those mountain ranges this summer.