Winter PCT through-hikers

seano

Simultaneously inspiring and horrifying:

http://www.pcta.org/2015/meet-two-guys-winter-thru-hiking-pct-19-incredible-photos-26687/

I'm a fan of type II fun, but this seems like pretty solid type III, approaching early-20th-century-polar-explorer levels of misery:

​The other surprise that comes to mind is how frequent and varied our foot issues have been throughout the entire trip. There have been very few miles without pain or ailment ranging from blisters, trench foot, athlete’s foot and even frostbite.

These guys appear to be somewhere near Mt. Whitney now, so it has been all (net) downhill to Mexico for a day or two:

https://share.delorme.com/JustinLichter

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Definitely amazing and some really cool photos as well. And here I thought some of my trip ideas for this winter season were ambitious. :D

• 4 weeks later...

A proud accomplishment! Those photos of them being rained on at the Mexican border really capture the spirit of the thing.

Their trek was amazing. I believe it was the first-ever winter thru hike of the PCT. I have one of Trauma's books called Trail Tested. All about gear amd then some.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick
Trail Tested is a great book. I'm lucky enough to have a copy signed by Justin...And his dog Yoni! :D

We hear from those that make public announcements about hikes like these. The majority, I feel, are pretenders not fully comprehending what they are stepping into. When I first heard about Trauma and Pepper attempting a Winter SOBO PCT Thru-hike I knew they would be the ones to not only make the attempt but in all likelihood complete the thru-hike. Congrats to those like Trauma and Pepper who step up to the plate count the costs, prepared well, and get er done in style.

• 2 weeks later...

Just amazing. My time to even think about attempting something like that is probably 10 years in my past....