10 Ways to Sleep Warmer on Your Next Backpacking Trip

Gary M

Aaron;

By the way, another good tip to sleep warmer is to bring along a furry friend who happens to have a nice thick and warm coat! Maximus (see photo) has done the job for me over the past 9 years. Just watch out for any sharp toe nails puncturing your tent floor!

post-135-143508723866_thumb.jpg

Maximus, enjoying a brisk Midwestern winter hike

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

You can double up on your sleeping pads if you have the room to spare on your pack. Use a closed cell pad under an open cell pad, and then your sleeping bag, bag liner, dry socks, fleece Jammie's, and a hat. Warm and snuggely!

What Jen said. I slip my neo air in my liner. I use extra fleece bag that I bought for $15. Goes on the outside of my 20* bag. Nice and toasty. No dog for me.

Beautiful Dog!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Aaron;

By the way, another good tip to sleep warmer is to bring along a furry friend who happens to have a nice thick and warm coat! Maximus (see photo) has done the job for me over the past 9 years. Just watch out for any sharp toe nails puncturing your tent floor! ...

That's a good tip Gary! I'm usually busy trying to keep my heeler warm at night...could be another article on its own...I bring a dedicated closed cell foam pad for her to sleep on and I've been thinking about trying to have some type of custom down blanket made that should be pretty light since she usually ends up with my down jacket. I've actually never had an issue with tent floor punctures, but the rocks around here are pretty good at filing down toenails.

You can double up on your sleeping pads if you have the room to spare on your pack. Use a closed cell pad under an open cell pad, and then your sleeping bag, bag liner, dry socks, fleece Jammie's, and a hat. Warm and snuggely!

We use this technique quite a bit once lows are forecast for around the 20's or lower, I like the thin 1/8" foam pads you can find like the Gossamer Gear Thinlight that weigh just a few ounces:

http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-insulation-pads.html

Fairly easy to carry outside the pack, makes for decent sit pad, protects the bottom of my Exped Synmat to some extent and adds a bit more warmth / comfort as well. Not quite as extensive as the last photo of all the pads over on the blog post but it does the trick! :D

What Jen said. I slip my neo air in my liner. I use extra fleece bag that I bought for $15. Goes on the outside of my 20* bag. Nice and toasty. No dog for me...

That sounds like an interesting idea Opi. So the NeoAir goes in the liner (Inside the sleeping bag?) combined with the fleece overbag or is it all one component?

That sounds like an interesting idea Opi. So the NeoAir goes in the liner (Inside the sleeping bag?) combined with the fleece overbag or is it all one component?

Edited by Opi

tmountainnut

That sounds like an interesting idea Opi. So the NeoAir goes in the liner (Inside the sleeping bag?) combined with the fleece overbag or is it all one component?/QUOTE

Aaron, I don't get out in winter around here yet but early spring and late fall are awesome. So instead of buying a new 0*bag I improvised.

I first put down a foam pad then I take my liner and put my neo air inside, put the opening by your feet. It's like having a sheet on your bed. Not sure if this even helps but I bring the liner along anyways when its cold so might as well use it. Then I take my old 20* Blue Kazoo and put that inside the fleece bag. Both just go on top of the mats. The fleece bag is loose enough where it does not compact the inner bag.

About 2 1/2 extra lbs for both. Keeps me warm to the low 20's. Have not tried it any colder than that.

I do want a warmer bag someday but until then this is money.

I will be purchasing an EE 20* Quilt for this season. Probably be a lot warmer then the old NF bag.

I might need this set up in a couple weeks, I hope!

PS I can't figure out how to quote part of thread.

Opi, put QUOTE=Aaron with [ ] around it at the start of your post and it should fix that.

Also, doubling up with sleeping bags (40* on the inside, 20* on the outside for example) is an easy way to get a winter bag without buying a new bag if you've got a few older sleeping bags around. This isn't lightweight, but it works in a pinch, especially for car camping. I don't think it would work any better with the sleeping pad inside the bags since partially why it works so well is because it seals up better than a single bag, but it also makes midnight bathroom runs really hard.

Opi, put QUOTE=Aaron with [ ] around it at the start of your post and it should fix that.

Also, doubling up with sleeping bags (40* on the inside, 20* on the outside for example) is an easy way to get a winter bag without buying a new bag if you've got a few older sleeping bags around. This isn't lightweight, but it works in a pinch, especially for car camping. I don't think it would work any better with the sleeping pad inside the bags since partially why it works so well is because it seals up better than a single bag, but it also makes midnight bathroom runs really hard.

My last few trips I left the liner at home. Trying to get UL you know. Left the foam pad at home too.

As for midnight bathroom runs. Unless you got the runs I stay in tent. I keep a pee bottle in tent. To old for that silliness. Just make sure you get a wide mouth bottle:) And yes it gets rinsed out and used for a water bottle.

Just thought of something. You could use the full pee bottle to keep you warm! Brilliant! make sure the lids on tight.

My pee bottle is a nalgene with a yellow top. It doesn't get used for anything else. I've used a hot water bottle- nalgene filled with hot water and placed in one of my hiking socks- a couple of times to combat cold-feet syndrome. Since then, I've acquired a pair of down socks that always go with me on colder trips. I find it helps not to go to bed cold- if it can be avoided- thinking the sleeping bag will warm me up. I've found that if my sleeping bag is being used in conditions close to its comfort limit, I may not warm up so readily if I get into it feeling cold. I tend to be willing to carry extra weight in order to avoid being cold.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Aaron, I don't get out in winter around here yet but early spring and late fall are awesome. So instead of buying a new 0*bag I improvised.

I first put down a foam pad then I take my liner and put my neo air inside, put the opening by your feet. It's like having a sheet on your bed. Not sure if this even helps but I bring the liner along anyways when its cold so might as well use it. Then I take my old 20* Blue Kazoo and put that inside the fleece bag. Both just go on top of the mats. The fleece bag is loose enough where it does not compact the inner bag.

About 2 1/2 extra lbs for both. Keeps me warm to the low 20's. Have not tried it any colder than that.

I do want a warmer bag someday but until then this is money.

I will be purchasing an EE 20* Quilt for this season. Probably be a lot warmer then the old NF bag.

I might need this set up in a couple weeks, I hope!

See what you mean now Opi...I can imagine having that fleece bag along could be nice!

...I find it helps not to go to bed cold- if it can be avoided- thinking the sleeping bag will warm me up. I've found that if my sleeping bag is being used in conditions close to its comfort limit, I may not warm up so readily if I get into it feeling cold. I tend to be willing to carry extra weight in order to avoid being cold.

Definitely agree with this ogg. It's always much more difficult to warm up once you do get chilled...much better to take the necessary precautions to stay warm in the first place.

Don't forget campsite selection as well.

Camping out in an open area with a view sounds nice...but it is cold. And it is usually a meadow, so it gets even colder.

Try to camp under branches and on some pine duff or similar if possible. A lot toastier!