Choosing a backpacking tent

rogueodyssey

I was having the same dilemma a few months ago between the BA and the MSR. I ended up purchasing the Hubba Hubba for a few reasons:

-The material on the Copper Spur seemed really fragile and may need a lot of pampering to keep in good shape

-I really liked the fast pitch option without the footprint on the MSR - this may be possible with the Copper Spur. We tried it with my buddies Half-dome and it worked fine.

-At a glance the venting options looked to be better on the MSR

-The design of the BA seemed like it would catch a lot more wind

-I like the ability to roll the fly up to the brow pole, like the Hubba Hubba

I've only been able to use the tent about six nights since I purchased it, but I seriously couldn't be happier. One night we were getting 20 mph (+/-) winds and the tent didn't budge.

In my opinion, all of the above reasons justified the weight savings I lost, but I think you will be happy with any of the tents you mentioned. If you do buy the BA, just be sure to make a footprint for it, also.

rogueodyssey

I was having the same dilemma a few months ago between the BA and the MSR. I ended up purchasing the Hubba Hubba for a few reasons:

-The material on the Copper Spur seemed really fragile and may need a lot of pampering to keep in good shape

-I really liked the fast pitch option without the footprint on the MSR - this may be possible with the Copper Spur. We tried it with my buddies Half-dome and it worked fine.

-At a glance the venting options looked to be better on the MSR

-The design of the BA seemed like it would catch a lot more wind

-I like the ability to roll the fly up to the brow pole, like the Hubba Hubba

I've only been able to use the tent about six nights since I purchased it, but I seriously couldn't be happier. One night we were getting 20 mph (+/-) winds and the tent didn't budge.

In my opinion, all of the above reasons justified the weight savings I lost, but I think you will be happy with any of the tents you mentioned. If you do buy the BA, just be sure to make a footprint for it, also.

Those are excellent points you brought up, I want a lightweight tent with great features while still being bomb proof. I don't mind the extra weight for a tent that is a bit more durable. Thanks for your input kwhowell

One of the most wind-worthy shelters I've ever used was a Sierra Designs Origami 2UL, a 5 sided pyramid tarp with a zippered door. It held up quite well one time I was camping in a canyon where a nearby remote weather station had clocked wind gusts over 65mph. That tent is no longer made but the Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar is pretty similar, much lighter and well regarded for wind performance. MLD offers a net inner with a floor, that would essentially make the tarp shelter into a tent.