Backpacking in Patagonia

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

If you’re an avid backpacker, and you have ever thought about doing a trip in South America, you’ve doubtlessly heard of Torres del Paine National Park in Chile. And even if you haven’t, you would recognize some of the sights from magazines, books, and television. Within the park, there are many backpacking options but most travelers do either the “W” circuit which visits a number of the main sights on the southern portion of the main geologic feature of the park, the Cordillera Paine, while the extended “O” circuit does an extra section which loops around the northern side of the Cordillera del Paine. The “W” hike usually takes 3-5 days and the “O” can take anywhere from 6-10 days depending on speed and side trips…

Eli Burakian spends 8 days backpacking in Patagonia – take a look at the trip below in Issue 23:

An Eight Day Hike Around Torres del Paine National Park in Chile

Backpacking and hiking in Patagonia

Issue 23 Page 1

• 2 months later...

I did the "O" a few years ago. Yes the glaciers, and peaks were great and so was the very reasonably priced sea food at the jumping off town of Puerto Natales. If you do head for Torres del Paine be certain to include time for Los Glaciares NP in Argentian. (A one day bus ride away) to see the towering Mt FitzRoy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also did the O in 2002.  I would echo trekkerman's comment.  I would have liked to have had time to take the jaunt up to FitzRoy.  Guess I will have to go back!  Another add-on for me if I return would be to take a cruise from Punta Arenas north along the west coast--eyed that after I got back.  Lots of great stuff down there!

• 5 months later...