Hiking Boots/Shoes

billdolfski

I'm clearly going to need some hiking boots (socks can come up later), but my main concern is the shape of my foot.  It's fairly wide at the ball of my foot and the "toe box."  I'm looking for some good hiking boots that will provide me with ample room and comfort in that area.  If I wear normal shoes for short periods of time I can't even tell, but if I walk long enough my toenails dig into the next toes, I get lesions and then my feet are trashed and walking is both uncomfortable and only gets worse.  I was looking for advice from anyone else who deals with this so I can purchase an appropriate pair of boots for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Bill

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Bill,

One of the reasons I like my Altra Lone Peaks is for this reason - not sure if a trail running shoe would be an option in your case. I recently did a longer than usual for me 22 mile day with a ~30lb pack over rocky trails wearing the latest version (the 2.5), with no complaints from my feet whatsoever...socks play a big role here as well. In any event, very comfortable and a good all-around shoe with plenty of room for the toes, although the zero drop aspect could take some getting used to. Another thing I've found to help is making it a point to keep those toenails clipped before a trip! 

Hi Bill, my foot is differently shaped, a little on the wide side but low volume, (read: flat). I've had the best luck with boots that lace all the way down to the toe. Here's what I'm wearing lately and I'm really happy with how versatile they are, easily fitting different sock and sock liner combos. 

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/asolo-cactus-gore-tex-hiking-boots-waterproof-for-men~p~5523h/?utm_source=GooglePLAs&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Asolo_Cactus_Gore-Tex_Hiking_Boots_-_Waterproof_For_Men&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLES5&currency=USD&codes-processed=true

i hiked in them soaking wet for a couple days last month and they treated my feet kindly.

Good luck, Dave

I really appreciate the input.  Any advice is always welcome.  I lucked out and got a pair of wide shoes since I asked (that I have no $$$ in) and I think they are going to work for me until I pony up and get some boots.  Putting insoles in them and wearing better/thicker socks certainly helped with my heel issue (it was kind of loose there originally).

• Like 1

The only good hiking shoes are those that fit your feet. Why do you "clearly" need hiking boots? I have hiking boots I wear when we get snow and cold. I mostly wear running shoes for hiking.

I have Merrell hiking shoes in both low and mid-high. I also have Teva light weight hiking shoes that were supposed to be waterproof... Mostly I hike with New Balance trail Running shoes - they are just more comfortable.

I would suggest going to a store (like REI) that specializes in outdoor equipment. Ask for advice but then try on as many different brands as possible. Keens have the widest toe box of any I have used.

• Like 1

Never said I clearly needed them but I wanted them specifically for the ankle support.  I'm not in need of it or anything but if it saves me from rolling an ankle or something, seems like a good idea to me.  If not, I'll never know and maybe get some peace of mind out of it, lol.

I've looked at REI but online, don't believe there is an outlet here.  I've had a few pairs of Merrells and I like them pretty well.  Will definitely look into Keens, thank you.