Pickle juice and mustard?

Aconcagua

I went on a serious hike today with some very fit people. They mentioned the use of pickle juice and mustard as very quick ways to help restore one's electrolyte (in addition to water) balance on the trail given their huge sodium content. (Yes, I know -- the best bet is to never get dehydrated or allow one's electrolyte levels to go astray to begin with.)

They said they keep mustard packets in their packs and come to think of it, I have seen empty packets on the trail. Has anyone else heard of using pickle juice and mustard in this fashion?  Thanks...

Edited by Aconcagua

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've heard of pickle juice, but the mustard is a new one for me. Personally, for backpacking / hiking / running / biking, I just make sure to drink plenty of water and eat well along the way, and that almost always includes some electrolyte containing snacks by accident. I also sometimes carry some more focused electrolyte-boosting drink mixes that I rarely use, but when I do it's mostly for taste and extra calories...

I've never hiked with anyone carrying pickle juice. I've been wanting to get some mustard packs for my lunch, but I won't throw them on the trail.