Yosemite National Park: The Mist Trail

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

“There she is Pops,” I slapped my father on the back as we sat in the middle of Curry Village starring in awe up at a rock face known as Half Dome. The sun was just starting to set and the early June sky was changing color rapidly from blue to gold, but it was Half Dome that was stealing the show. She glowed a brilliant orange on her massive face, providing a tempting distraction from the evening ranger program we had come to see. Half Dome was, after all, the inspiration for our family trip...

Jessica Smith hikes the Mist Trail - Read the full article below in Issue 4:

Yosemite National Park: The Mist Trail

Issue 4 Page 1

Hiking the Mist Trail in Yosemite National Park, California

• 1 year later...

IMO, better to go up always being mindful of footing. Going down carelessly or in snow/ice is a good way to take a nasty fall. Unfortunately, those going down are typically in a rush to get to the Happy Isles TH and hence the nasty falls I've seen folks take on the almost always wet aptly named Mist Tr.

• 3 years later...
Outdoorsman0827

Aaron, have you noticed that in the article about the Mist Trail at Yosemite (on page 12) the same paragraph is repeated verbatim, starting with the line "Here the trail was wide..."  I think that is a proofreading/printing error that no one who read the article seemed to notice.  Well, I just thought I would point this error out to you since you produced the magazine.  So far, everything else is good.  Great photography!  Keep it coming!

The Outdoorsman

• Like 1

Outdoorsman0827

No problem.  I am going through the old issues, one each week from the first issue until the newest.  I'm on issue #4 now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had a contract with Yosemite NP in the 1970s and a did a job there.  We came early to climb Half Dome back before there were permits.  A wonderful place but you have to like climbing stairs.  5,000 vertical feet each way is a lot. 

In those days  bears were everywhere.  They came into camp at Little Yosemite Valley.  They walked past the bus stop at night.  I was staying in Curry Village in a cabin and there was a bear in the dumpster every morning.  After awhile he knew my voice and did not even look up as I walked past.  I called him "Junior. "