Backpack Choices

Zacpacker

Hi everyone. I am an amateur backpacker and am looking for a new pack. I have a 65 liter bag that is way too large for what I do with it. I am looking for a bag that is between 40 and 50 liters under $200. I am personally looking at the Osprey Stratos 47, but wanted to see what others thought. Any ideas? Thanks!

I carried a 65 liter bag for 4 years and over time began to lighten my load.  In the spring of 2015 I bought an Osprey Exos 48.  Best backpacking decision i've ever made.  That bag so comfortable that I don't even know I have it on.  The pocket design is genius, making getting the water bottle in and out while hiking very easy.  The hip belts both have zip pockets and the shoulder straps both have candy bar pouches.  The top lid is removable, and has 2 zip pockets.  The bag expands nicely and has an exterior rear mesh pocket that expands very large, holding wet rain gear and wet tarps/rain fly.  I have worn this pack on 4 night trips and on 5 mile day hikes.  I would recommend it in a second and if anything happened to it, I would immediately buy it again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard nothing but good things from my buddy who has the Osprey Atmos AG 50L. I purchased the old Atmos 50 and absolutely love it, also, but the anti-gravity suspension on the newer pack has had nothing but good reviews. Here's a review from this forum: http://www.trailgroove.com/forums/topic/1064-osprey-atmos-50l-anti-gravity-pack/#comment-4356

These may be a bit out of your price range, but if you keep your eyes peeled or have a coupon you might be able to get one under $200.

My opinion is that you can't really go wrong with an Osprey pack. They put a lot of thought into their designs and features. Just make sure to try one on weighted and pick  your favorite.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The through hikers on the PCT carry ULA packs a lot.  I just bought one for $235, the Circuit.  It will handle 35 pounds and weights 2 1/2. I like all the outside pockets so you can reach everything during the day without taking off the pack.

• Like 1

just got an aura ag 50 for my wife. tested once, she loves it. i will be updating my pack next year and it will be an osprey. the warranty is super awesome and they will give you up to a year for returns if you dont like it or its not working out for you. you will have to buy a pack cover does not come with one.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2016 at 6:23 AM, KYhiker40 said:

I carried a 65 liter bag for 4 years and over time began to lighten my load.  In the spring of 2015 I bought an Osprey Exos 48.  Best backpacking decision i've ever made.  That bag so comfortable that I don't even know I have it on.  The pocket design is genius, making getting the water bottle in and out while hiking very easy.  The hip belts both have zip pockets and the shoulder straps both have candy bar pouches.  The top lid is removable, and has 2 zip pockets.  The bag expands nicely and has an exterior rear mesh pocket that expands very large, holding wet rain gear and wet tarps/rain fly.  I have worn this pack on 4 night trips and on 5 mile day hikes.  I would recommend it in a second and if anything happened to it, I would immediately buy it again.

Thank you so much for this. I took your advice and researched the Exos. I went to an REI store and looked at it. I can see why it is so comfortable. The only downside I saw to this pack was that there wasn't as many pockets as my liking. I took this into serious consideration, but in the end, I chose the Osprey Kestrel. Thank you so much for your help!

On 4/25/2016 at 10:47 AM, ppine said:

The through hikers on the PCT carry ULA packs a lot.  I just bought one for $235, the Circuit.  It will handle 35 pounds and weights 2 1/2. I like all the outside pockets so you can reach everything during the day without taking off the pack.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had discovered this pack before I ended up getting the Osprey Kestrel. I will definitely keep this in mind for my next pack.

On 4/7/2016 at 3:24 PM, kwhowell said:

I've heard nothing but good things from my buddy who has the Osprey Atmos AG 50L. I purchased the old Atmos 50 and absolutely love it, also, but the anti-gravity suspension on the newer pack has had nothing but good reviews. Here's a review from this forum: http://www.trailgroove.com/forums/topic/1064-osprey-atmos-50l-anti-gravity-pack/#comment-4356

These may be a bit out of your price range, but if you keep your eyes peeled or have a coupon you might be able to get one under $200.

My opinion is that you can't really go wrong with an Osprey pack. They put a lot of thought into their designs and features. Just make sure to try one on weighted and pick  your favorite.

Thank you! I ended up looking at the Atmos. Once the pack was on, even with 20 pounds, it felt like nothing. I didn't really like the contracting straps though, as i had trouble getting it on and off with nothing in it, never mind 20 pounds. Thankyou so much though!