Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2- How thin is thin?

TollerMom

I am upgrading my Kelty Salida 2 to a lighter free standing tent and saw good reviews on the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, not to mention it is a popular tent for thru hikers  The only downside is a comment made on it perhaps being relatively thin and therefore prone to tearing.  How thin is thin? (ps, no spoiler, can't remove the edit). ;)

image.png

Assuming the material is the same as used in the UL3, I don't think that will be a problem.  Never used a footprint with the UL3 we had and the floor held up fine.  The Copper Spurs are light and easy to set up, but the zippers were driving me crazy and we no longer own that tent.  The netting also tends to get runs adjacent to those non-functional zippers.

That tent taught me a few things:  I will never own another tent with bottom drop doors.  No matter what you do when its wet, if you have canines, those door WILL be a mess.  The ventilation also sucks so when cool, condensation is a big problem. And given the tent/fly design, you can't leave the fly zippers partially open without accumulating precip inside the tent. That is also where that condensation on the inside of the fly ends up while you are fighting the fly zippers trying to make an exit.  With very little additional effort, BA could have actually made a nice tent.  But in my opinion, the current crop is sorely lacking-at least for the camping my wife and I do.

The MSR Mutha Hubba added a half pound back to my pack but it's a much more functional tent in every other way.

I have owned the copper spur UL2 for seven years, and love it.  However, I don't have a dog and thus the bottom drop door never was an issue for me.  I do use it with a footprint, as I didn't mind the extra few ounces.  I would buy the tent again--as mentioned it's a very easy set up.  Have not noticed any issues with the netting developing "runs"--maybe that's a function of canines?   In any event TollerMom, I am sure you will be happy with the tent--adequate space for two, and it's a palace as a solo tent.

I also ponderd the canine aspect.. My 14.5 yr old Toller would likely stay home.. So what is a bottom drop door?

TollerMom,

I have not used that term previously, but I'm pretty sure what grizzled means is a door that has the "non-zipper" portion as the bottom portion.  The doors on the copper spur are "D-shaped" with the the flat portion of the D on the bottom/entry area, and the zippered portion on the remainder.  Thus, you are entering (over) the non-zippered portion.  I suppose this exposes the door material to a bit more wear and tear as a result.  I have not had an issue with this, however--have not seen any abrasion/wear-and-tear on the mesh door as a result.

hmmm...are other tents like this?  I have not seen doors like this before...in my limited tent door experience. 

TollerMom,

These doors are also called "D-style or side entry".  Personally, as I am 6-2" tall and used to find front entry tents a pain to get in and out of, I will never go back to them.  I have not had a problem as to abrasion--when opening/unzipping the entrance, just roll or tuck the material up near the side of the tent.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've had good success with lightweight floors - but I am a groundsheet user just for peace of mind and always take a cut to size piece of window insulation film - just a couple ounces. Many don't take anything and don't have issues. I've been fortunate enough to have never had a problem with my dog either, but if nails are sharp (more hiking seems to help with that here!) you might have to be more careful all around. :) I have shelters with both types of doors...agreed with John on the side entry especially for a 2 person tent.

• 2 weeks later...

so one last decision.. There are a couple 20-25% sales the next day or so I want to jump on.  Do I get the regular Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 or the same with MtnGlo (Led lights) inside.  Are the lights really cool and enough to read by or are they just an overated gimmick that is worthless extra weight for the three AAA batteries?