shoes or Boots; boots or shoes?

kenny

New to the forum.   For long day hiking, up to 12 miles, is there a big advantage to boots besides the ankle support.  Do boots  help prevent achilles issues?  Shoes just seem a little easier to maneuver off of the trail.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you!

I think most day hikers use trailrunners or shoes these days.  Every extra ounce you lift with your foot adds up over the endless steps and miles.

In rough terrain or with a heavy pack, boots have more to recommend them.  But I use low cut hiking shoes for all my hiking, including week long backpacking trips.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to the forum kenny, and as above I also use low cut hiking shoes whenever possible for hiking and backpacking. One exception is for winter and snow use however where I do like to step up to a mid-height boot. This article that goes over season by season footwear options and looks at trail runners vs. boots, etc. might be worth a read as well:

https://www.trailgroove.com/blogs/entry/137-hiking-shoes-and-footwear-best-choices-by-season/

13 hours ago, balzaccom said:

I think most day hikers use trailrunners or shoes these days.  Every extra ounce you lift with your foot adds up over the endless steps and miles.

In rough terrain or with a heavy pack, boots have more to recommend them.  But I use low cut hiking shoes for all my hiking, including week long backpacking trips.

Thank you Balzaccom for your input.  I am feeling more comfortable in some sturdy hiking shoes.  My pack will be light, and I just like the feel better.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kenny. I'm new to this forum as well. 

I'm a hiking boot person. Even when packing light for a day hike, I can't seem to make that switch away from boots. Maybe it's an old school thing. LOL.

From hiking with many different people, I've come to believe it's like most other human things. We are all so different that is just comes down to what works best for each individual. For me, I like the room boots provide so I can add inserts (which I need to keep my feet from hurting). Not that shoes can't be large enough for this, but I also like the feeling of support from a good hiking boot.

Anyhow, that's just me.

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

For most three-season conditions, I hike in trail runners rather than boots. Mostly non-waterproof trail runners, but occasionally waterproof ones depending on the conditions I expect. There haven't been any trips I've been on since making this switch where I wished I had boots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I own a great pair of lightweight Salomon boot, and almost never wear them.  90%  of my time outdoors, even backpacking, is done in trail shoes.