Favorite time of year to be out there.

Rick-Pittsburgh

Rick-Pittsburgh

I was tossing this subject around and I had a question for the community...

What is your favorite time of year to be on trail and why?

I was tossing this subject around and I had a question for the community...

What is your favorite time of year to be on trail and why?

I think this is an interesting question, and I'm not sure exactly if I can respond intelligently.

I would have to say my favorite time of year for the trail is early to mid fall. I mainly hike in areas where the view is often obscured due to heavy spring and summer foliage. The insect population is normally low, and I just seem to have more fun in the fall. I'm not much of a winter hiker, although I take a couple each year with my dog(s) and they love the snow!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Maximus Snow Hike

post-135-143508719032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary M

Definitely the fall when the leaves are turning and the snakes are hiding wherever snakes hide. But I enjoy hiking and camping in the winter too. That campfire feels really good then.

For me it's September (Colorado)--the thunderstorms of the summer season are gone, days are still quite warm (although the nights can be a bit cool at altitude), and snows are usually not yet an issue.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Definitely hard to say for me, there are things I like about every season. At the moment, I might lean towards spring...There's something very rewarding about the lengthening days and getting all those trips in that you might have been dreaming about all winter. Summer in the mountains is great of course, (With a headnet at times) and as far as weather is concerned I'd have to vote for fall. I like the challenge of winter, and the way even very popular summer areas can turn to near wilderness when it's cold, but eventually the short days get to me. Maybe it's a good thing the seasons do change, they each might be harder to appreciate without the other. :D

I have to agree with Aaron. With each change of season brings anticipation. Will the wildflowers be early and in abundance this year? Will I round up my girlfriends and hit the road and try out some of the lake trails I have read about in the eastern Sierra? Will the Aspens turn the pumpkin orange I adore again next fall? Will there be enough snow this winter to try out the new skis I got last Christmas? No sooner than one weekend ends, I begin planning for the next one. The question I am asked at work is not "ARE you hiking this weekend?" but rather "WHERE are you hiking this weekend?"

That is a great question and a tough one to answer. I've always loved the Winter; The beauty, solitude, and incredible quiet, and of course lack of bugs and a lot fewer people. It's only the hard core and the loonies, those folks that actually enjoy the cold! XC skiing, showshoeing, cramponing and ice climbing... and hot Tea and Wild Turkey, yum. Yet, the colors and flaming Fall foliage is outstanding in the Northeast along with the cooler weather and excellent hiking. But then again, I'm having a nice Spring time and Summer's around the corner!

AdventureMyk

Kayak camping or lake camping late fall when the water is still nice and warm for swimming, the air is cool and crisp for snuggling up and campfires and you get the amazing fogs rolling through.

For trails/hiking and dualsport camping (motorcycle) spring into early summer when the blooms are hitting, the wildlife is waking up, it's not too hot out and the weather hasn't hit the rainy season.

I'm a full 4-season camper but it depends on who is going and what we are using (foot, kayak, motorcycle, car, helicopter) as to where we go and what we take. The Great Smokey Mountains and surrounding national and state parks have a lot of fantastic opportunities and I'm very lucky to live here in East TN. :)

John Maniscalco

Winter time because there are no crowds and you can see farther since there are no leaves on the trees.

Spring time because the days are warm (in the south east), the afternoons are cool and the flowers and trees are in bloom.

Summer time to hit the watering holes and there is more daylight (plus I'm a teacher, so I have more time).

Fall because the days are cooler and the foliage colors.