Hello from Sacramento, California

Shaun Squid

Shaun Squid

Hey Folks,

Somebody bought me a subscription to Backpacker magazine way back, and I was annoyed by how crappy the articles were (mostly just advertisements and reviews of THEE most expensive gear on the market, things nobody really needs, meal ideas that were too complicated for the back country, etc.). I played around on Google for a bit and stumbled across TrailGroove. Much more my speed and much better articles.

I am 27, work the standard 8-5 M-F grind in a cube farm and get out as much as I possibly can. I always bring my fishing pole (though I hardly ever catch anything), a beer or two, and am always up for taking first timers out. Moved back home from Seattle at the beginning of the year. So far I have hit South Yuba Primitive Campground, Loch Leven Lakes in TNF, Sykes Hot Springs in Big Sur. In the coming weeks I hope to get to Paradise Lake in TNF, and hopefully the Lost Coast trail.

Any tips on where I can catch and release some trout would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shaun

Shaun Squid............

Welcome to TG. What makes this magazine and forum special is that it is tailor made for real people who love to backpack and hike. Nothing pretentious here. You can directly input your thoughts, write an article if you like, or just lay back and read. It's a great concept, and it works! Have fun with TG and enjoy!

Sorry, can't help you with the trout question.... I'm from Kansas, we barely know what a fish is!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

• 2 weeks later...
Walking Enigma

Shaun,

I saw your post and echo your thoughts. I also like the vibe here and you're right Backbacker is just not real life. I pretty much read it for the pictures and just ideas of places to hike when I travel for work.