Youth backpacking in fall

hikedad

Hey guys,

I've just got into packing last year and have a couple smaller trips under my belt. Nothing longer than two night through hikes. My nine year old son began showing interest this past spring and as he is finally big enough to carry his load (literally) we have done a number of overnight trips together. As we enter the fall season we are both eager to cram in at least a few more trips. I was advised by a few friends against taking him out as black bears become more active in there preparations for winter in the north east. Based on my limited experience my question is "is it worth it". I don't want to unduly place him in danger for the sake of male bonding. In other words, should I scrap the trip until spring/summer to avoid a bear encounter or can preparation and awareness suffice? We are planning to try Bear Mountain, NY.

Thanks in advance for your experienced input.

There certainly is a small increase in risk but if you practice good bear avoidance technique (ie, either bear proof food container or hang food at least 10' off the ground and a 100 yards from tent, cook that same 100 yards away from the tent and be careful not to get food on clothing, and absolutely no food in the tent), the risk is still very low. That said, most definitely invest in a can of bear spray for the both of you and rehearse how to use it. To be of any benefit, the stuff also has to be readily available. You may as well save the money if it's buried in the pack and you actually need it-you will not have time to retrieve it.

If you're in bear territory, its a good idea to carry bear spray and use a bear proof food container like Grizzed said.

I carry my bear spray at the ready on my shoulder strap, and I use an Ursack, which i find is a little more convenient than hard canisters or hanging a bear bag (properly). Most people that hang bear bags don't do it properly, making it very easy for a bear to get to your stuff. I carry my Ursack on all of my trips since it also protects against mice, birds, and other stuff that might steal food.

I've also found that on my trips, bears are not normally aggressive. Both of my bear encounters have been very brief, with the bear running away immediately after seeing me. If you carry trekking poles, use them to make noise and make yourself look bigger if you do find one that isn't running away.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've just got into packing last year and have a couple smaller trips under my belt. Nothing longer than two night through hikes. My nine year old son began showing interest this past spring and as he is finally big enough to carry his load (literally) we have done a number of overnight trips together. As we enter the fall season we are both eager to cram in at least a few more trips. I was advised by a few friends against taking him out as black bears become more active in there preparations for winter in the north east. Based on my limited experience my question is "is it worth it". I don't want to unduly place him in danger for the sake of male bonding. In other words, should I scrap the trip until spring/summer to avoid a bear encounter or can preparation and awareness suffice? We are planning to try Bear Mountain, NY.

Thanks in advance for your experienced input.

When I was camping in Alaska, the campsite sheriff had advised us to us a soup can with one round circular pebble. It was more for us, the kids to announce to the surrounding areas that we were there. Whether or not that it works, it made me feel better about walking through bear territory while backpacking.

When I was camping in Alaska, the campsite sheriff had advised us to us a soup can with one round circular pebble. It was more for us, the kids to announce to the surrounding areas that we were there. Whether or not that it works, it made me feel better about walking through bear territory while backpacking.

Hope you cleaned that can VERY well. The old bear ID joke: how can you tell black bear scat from grizzly scat? The black bear scat usually contains seeds, chokecherry pits, and perhaps some hair. Grizzly scat also contains hair, along with bells and smells like pepper.

Noise makers may help, but a much better bet is bear spray and/or a BIG handgun that you actually know how to use.

How not to get hyperphagized.

Hope you cleaned that can VERY well. The old bear ID joke: how can you tell black bear scat from grizzly scat? The black bear scat usually contains seeds, chokecherry pits, and perhaps some hair. Grizzly scat also contains hair, along with bells and smells like pepper.

Noise makers may help, but a much better bet is bear spray and/or a BIG handgun that you actually know how to use.

How not to get hyperphagized.

Love your joke! HAha so true!